Westview High School has a proud tradition of excellence and we continue to strive for academic gains across all curricular areas for all students. One essential component in this process is to have students in regular daily attendance, on time, ready to learn.
The Attendance Office is open from 7:15 am to 3:30 pm, but phone messages can be left 24 hours a day. If your student will be absent from school, please call the attendance line as early in the day as possible. We make every effort to get excused absences recorded in the computer as quickly as possible, but some data may be entered after the AutoDialer begins making phone calls at 1:30 pm. If you have a question about whether an attendance was recorded properly, the fastest way to check is to use ParentVue to see the attendance record for each of your students. You may report errors to Diane Jordan in the Attendance Office through email or phone message at 503-356-3021.
WHEN A STUDENT IS ABSENT THE ENTIRE DAY:
- Students are not allowed to excuse themselves
- Parent/guardian must call the Attendance Hotline at 503-356-3021
- Absences must be reported no more than 24 hours after the absence. Please have the following information:
- Student's full name (please spell uncommon names)
- Student's six-digit I.D. number
- Your name and relationship to the student (parent, guardian, etc)
- Reason for the absence (from the list below)
- Medical appointment
- Family emergency
- Death in family
- Pre-arranged absence (see below)
- Religious observance
- Other administrative approved reason
WHEN A STUDENT ARRIVES TO SCHOOL LATE:
- Parent/guardian should call the Attendance Hotline before the student arrives to school, or provide the student with a note from the parent or guardian the day of the late arrival. Parent/guardian do not need to accompany the student if they have called or provided a note. Please be sure to indicate the reason for the tardy as well as the student's name and ID.
- Excused tardies include: medical appointment, illness, and family emergencies.
- Unexcused tardies include: oversleeping, missing the bus, finishing homework/studying at home, and "running late."
- Students should go directly to the Attendance Office when they arrive.
WHEN A STUDENT NEEDS TO LEAVE SCHOOL EARLY:
Once a student is on campus, the student must remain on campus. If it is necessary for the student to leave school for ANY reason after their initial arrival, parent/guardian must call the Attendance Line as early as possible in the morning or provide a note to the student.
An Early Release pass will then be provided to the student which authorizes them to leave campus. If students leave and return to school, they must document the time of their return to school at the Attendance Office as well. Students who leave campus without checking out through the Attendance Office will be subject to consequences. Do not pick up your student and call after the fact. If so, the absence will remain unexcused.
If absences of three or more days are known in advance, students are to come to the Attendance Office and get a Prearranged Absence Form. This will be filled out & signed by parent/guardian and then all teachers will sign before it is returned to the Attendance Office.
Makeup work: Students who have been absent have the responsibility to request and make up all missed work. Teachers have the option to determine the length of time for completion of make up work; the general rule is a day for a day. Parents/student requests for homework related to absences of 3 or more days should be made to the Attendance Office and should allow for a 24-hour response time.